Where were you on the day of October 30, 1995?
on October 30, 2008
I don’t know where you were, but I know exactly where I was. I had just birthed what I thought was the largest thing that could ever come from my body. Little did I know that 27 months later his sister would outdo him by 11 ounces, but that’s another horror story for another time.
Yes, 13 years ago today, Tyler and I welcomed the much anticipated Austin Tyler into the world. All 9 pounds and 4 screaming ounces of him. And today, I can’t believe he’s a teenager. I mean I really can’t believe it. I was okay for most of the 29th until bedtime. It was at that point I realized I would be hugging a teenager goodnight for the next six years. The pre-teen years are gone. Just like that. Like I told someone lately, the days are long but the years are short.
So instead of getting mushy, I’m going to look back on some of the more interesting moments raising what has to be one of the most difficult children on the planet.
I never thought . . . .
- My son wouldn’t sleep through the night or take naps until he was 14 months old. I don’t remember much from that year.
- Austin would be naked for much of his first five years of life.
- He would throw a golf ball blindly into my bedroom, have it ricochet off four surfaces and then hit me squarely in the forehead.
- He would go #2 in the backyard. Eight years later he told me he wanted to see what it was like to be a dog.
- He wouldn’t have broken a bone by now.
- He would never keep a thought to himself . . . . even in public in a very loud voice.
- He would have such beautiful blond hair.
- He would be so stubborn and strong willed.
- He would be taller than I am at age 13 – he’s over 5’5 1/2″ now.
So the road labeled “Raising Austin” hasn’t been nearly as smooth and easy as I had hoped. But then, is life ever? I guess I’ll just strap myself in and hold on for the ride of my life – his teenage years!