This month, Bake @ 350’s “Flavor of the Month” is dedicated to John Hughes. If you grew up in the 80’s, you know who he is. He either wrote, directed and/or produced some of the movies that defined our generation. Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club, Ferris Beuller’s Day Off. And what one of us would be complete without the glory that is National Lampoon’s Vacation?
When researching Mr. Hughes’ movies, I discovered, much to my complete joy, that he wrote, directed and produced “Uncle Buck.” Nothing sends my husband and I into more giggles than recalling scenes from this movie. And our favorite scene? The one where Uncle Buck (aka John Candy) discusses his recent need for cheese:
It’s driving me crazy. I’ve been eating a lot of cheese for some reason.
I got a craving for the stuff. Do you think maybe that’s an allergy?
I don’t know, I can’t get enough cheese. I feel like a big mouse.
So in honor of one of our all time favorite movies, I give you “Uncle Buck’s Macaroni and I Can’t Get Enough Cheese.” This is easily my favorite comfort food!!!
1/2 lb. macaroni
1 T butter
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 T hot water
3 c. grated sharp cheese
1 c. milk
1/2 c. seasoned croutons, crushed (I prefer Ritz crackers)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Boil macaroni in water until tender and drain thoroughly.
3. Stir in butter and egg; mix mustard and salt in hot water and add to macaroni.
4. Add cheese, leaving enough to sprinkle on top.
5. Pour into a battered 2 quart casserole dish (8 x 8 baking pan works well, too). Add milk, sprinkle with cheese and croutons/Ritz.
6. Bake for 45 minutes or until the custard is set and the top is crusty.
7. Try not to eat the entire dish by yourself in one sitting.